Scales n Fuzz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scales n Fuzz

A place where Otherkin, Furries, and people interested in them can interact in a peaceful environment.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

What are otherkin?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
sillydraco
Admin
Admin
sillydraco

Number of posts : 207
Registration date : 2008-06-15

What are otherkin? Empty
PostSubject: What are otherkin?   What are otherkin? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 21, 2008 8:22 am

Hello, my name is Draco. Being around otherkin and furries for a while I have noticed many questions from new members and people who are not familiar with what Furries, Theriantheropes, and Otherkin are or just simply do not know the difference. Plus this is a good read for those who have these questions but do not want to post the same questions members before them have asked, and its good for established members to discuss their views and opinions as well.

As this is an Otherkin Forum, this is not an appropriate place for Furry Role Playing nor is it a playground. However it’s not all serious, play is not forbidden but is in fact encouraged! But everything has its place, and a balance should be held. Therefore, it is important for people to know what this forum is about and for people to know if this forum is right for them.

First off, what are Furries?

Well, furries are a group of people who view themselves as more animalistic than human but on a smaller scale than that of Otherkin and Therians, which I will mention later on here. They do not believe that they are anything other than human, but are content to role-play and pretend that they aren’t. Like any other group of people, furries should not be stereotyped as anything in particular as it always depends on the individual. However, there are some similarities they share. Furries tend to come in all different shapes and sizes, limited only by one’s imagination.

Okay, so what are the similarities most furries share?

Most furries are more easygoing and more nature oriented, although I have met a few egotistical and downright rude furries. Most, if not all, furries like to role play and flourish on online chat rooms and forums. Some, if they can afford it, like to create or purchase what is called a Fursuit, a costume that reflects the animal character (or Fursona) that they feel they connect with. It can be as simple as a tail and ears, or as complex as a full body suit with fur and can be realistic or cartoonish. Most cost in the upwards of $800 - $3000. These are most often worn at Furry Conventions.

What are Theriantheropes?

Theriantheropes, or Therians for short, are another group of people who connect with a certain animal on a profound level. Therians, like Totemism, connect to an animal in a spiritual way and it is more real than just pretend. There is an actual spiritual connection there, but also a very physical one as well. Some Therians consider themselves Weres, and believe they are in fact part animal both mentally and physically. Therians tend to connect mostly with animals that exist today, such as wolves, bears, and tigers.

What are Otherkin?

Okay, now we get to what Otherkin are. I myself am Otherkin, or more specifically Dragonkin. Like Furries and Therians, Otherkin connect with an animal (or animals) on a deeply profound level. But unlike Furries, it is real and some if not most Otherkin do not like role play as it seems to belittle their belief and often look down upon people who “pretend” to be Otherkin whether its out of ignorance or through role play etc. Otherkin and Therians are very much alike, and most can go either way. However, there are a few differences. Otherkin, unlike Therians, believe that they are reincarnations in human form of the animal they connect with. Also, many Otherkin connect with animals that live today, and some that may or may have lived in the past, as well as mythological and legendary animals such as dragons and kitsune. Some Otherkin even have a few snippets of memories of their past life, and most older kin have recalled their past life name and what they looked like. Often Otherkin feel what are called “phantom limbs”. Sometimes when someone loses an arm or a leg, they continue to feel it as if it were still there. Well, as an amputee may still feel a leg they no longer have, a Dragonkin may still feel the tail or wings that they no longer have. It is a strange feeling, and sometimes a weight is felt on the back or dragging along the floor behind them.

Okay, now that we have established what is what, how do I determine what I am?

Well, that’s easier said than done. As anyone can be a furry, that is not a problem. It gets harder to tell with Therians and Otherkin, however there are a few signs I have noticed that most Otherkin seem to follow subconsciously.

Well, what are these signs of which you speak?

Theriantheropes:
One thing to look for is your mannerisms, your personality and such. What kind of animal does your personality seem to be most like? Has anyone ever asked you if you could be any animal, what would it be? Go ahead, ask yourself now and think of the first thing that comes to mind. Are there any strange impulses you have that others tend to be surprised by? Some Therians like to keep long nails as they remind them of claws. Some like to eat raw steak, just like a wolf or tiger would enjoy. Similarly some would enjoy fruits and veggies more, just like my herbivorous past life as a small rainforest dragon. Do you ever feel the urge to growl or walk on all fours? Do you like to hide under the couch or crawl into tight places, or wish you lived in a cave? Do you like to chew wood or metal, and don’t know why? I know I do Very Happy

Otherkin:
Look around your room, yes I mean right now. Look at all the things you collect, all the stuff you plastered on your wall, look at all the clutter on your desk and any little things hanging off your compy. Notice the worn out plushy on your bed or your favorite trinket you twiddle in your hand when you talk on the phone. Is there a pattern there? Do you see a lot of dogs, or maybe dragons, or gryphons, or foxes? I did this one day; I picked up one of my little dragon figurines and wondered how many dragons I had in my room at that time. I lost count at around twenty, and couldn’t believe what a collection I had accumulated! I had all kinds of dragons all over the place! Plushies, pewter figures, LEGOs, drawings, jewelry, you name it I had it. And I wasn’t even trying, it just happened. I don’t think it is any coincidence that I am Dragonkin and have a massive collection of dragons. Do you ever feel limbs you don’t actually have? Do you ever feel the urge to jump off a high point to see if you could fly? (Don’t actually do it though, as your phantom wings wont hold much air XD)

What are some pros and cons of being Otherkin/Therian?

Cons:
With every group of people there are misunderstandings and discrimination from outside the group, due mainly to ignorance and lack of education on the subject. Many Otherkin do not like to publicize to everyone what they are, not even to their friends and family. I myself have gotten made fun of a lot by my uncle and even my parents. It’s hard to just stand by and turn the other cheek to it, and that’s my family! Another major problem is religion. *sweat* Although being Otherkin is not a religion in itself and one can in fact be Christian, Catholic, Buddhist etc and still be Otherkin without any problems, other Christians etc often have a problem accepting that a Christian believes he is a dragon, whether spiritually or otherwise.

One very big problem, and one that has given me much grief and I don’t think I’m alone in this, is the intense feeling of sorrow and loss knowing that I may never know what it feels like to fly on wings that I may never have. I may never be able to do the simple things such as wag the tail I may never have or even look down my snout. I may never know for certain how scales feel, and it hurts…so much. Sometimes I cry, and it is very hard for others to understand and comprehend why it hurts so much. It’s just one of those things that you have to realize for yourself to truly understand. Like Pee Wee Herman felt when he lost his bike and saw everyone riding theirs, even something simple such as seeing a bird fly or a butterfly flutter on a warm summer breeze can remind me of what I wish I had.

Pros:
Well, now that we have wallowed in the empty side of the glass, its time to look at the full half. There are many good things to being otherkin, and this will not in any way be a full complete list. One of the great things about being Otherkin/Therian is that it opens up your mind to the possibilities and wonders of life. If one were to have reincarnated from a past life, what will you reincarnate in your next? Is there a transition between lives? Is there a choice in it? And while seeing a bird may remind me of what I don’t have, it may also remind me of what I once was. Watching squirrels play reminds me of how young I was in my memories, and it brings a smile to my face. Simple things such as a children’s drawing of a dragon or a dragon plushy brings immeasurable happiness in a way only a Dragonkin would know, which is probably why I have collected so much of them.

Okay, so now that I know the basics what should I do now?

Well, try reading some of the other posts in this section as well as the deeper Otherkin sections. If you do not think you are otherkin then maybe this forum is not for you. If you are unsure, then maybe try talking to some of the moderators and older members, such as Ethelshai, J’Karrah, Jacree, and me! Always try to learn more, and make friends along the way. Here are a few links you may find useful:

| Furries, Wikipedia | I’m Furry by Kwooky Womble | wildideas.net, Theriantheropes | Theri There comic strip | Otherkin | OtherKin.Net | Otherkin FAQ | Draconity FAQ | Draconity Resource Project |

I hope this was informative, and wish you luck wherever your path may take you.

~ Draco the Silly Dragon
What are otherkin? Pawprint

Last edited by sillydraco on Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://scalesnfuzz.friendhood.net
tysha
Young dragon
Young dragon
tysha

Number of posts : 165
Registration date : 2008-06-16

What are otherkin? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What are otherkin?   What are otherkin? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 21, 2008 5:13 pm

Other Useful Links:

:star:Otherkin FAQ (possibly the most referred to 'kin faq online)
:star:Draconity FAQ (a very useful FAQ for those wondering if they are dragonkin)
:star:Draconity Resource Project (no longer updated but interesting articles).
Back to top Go down
http://tyshadragon.livejournal.com
sillydraco
Admin
Admin
sillydraco

Number of posts : 207
Registration date : 2008-06-15

What are otherkin? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What are otherkin?   What are otherkin? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 21, 2008 6:01 pm

added! ^^
Back to top Go down
http://scalesnfuzz.friendhood.net
Sponsored content

What are otherkin? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What are otherkin?   What are otherkin? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What are otherkin?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Scales n Fuzz :: Mystical Dragons :: Spiritual Connections-
Jump to: