Scales n Fuzz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scales n Fuzz

A place where Otherkin, Furries, and people interested in them can interact in a peaceful environment.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Past Life Memories... Are They Really *That* Important?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
jkarrah
Young dragon
Young dragon
jkarrah

Number of posts : 151
Registration date : 2008-06-18

Past Life Memories... Are They Really *That* Important? Empty
PostSubject: Past Life Memories... Are They Really *That* Important?   Past Life Memories... Are They Really *That* Important? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 5:38 pm

This essay was originally posted on Rasha's Forum and on Dragon Realms, but I thought it might be of interest to some people here as well.

One of the main things I hear from newly realized Dragons is a lamentation on the lack of clear, detailed memories of their life as a Dragon. Why? The belief in draconity is just that… a belief. It is a way of viewing the spiritual make-up of the world around you and your position in it.

With religion, people rarely seem to require direct, tangible proof of the existence of the particular deity they believe in, be that deity God, Jesus, Allah, Herne the Hunter, Buddha, Cerridwen, Isis, Morrigan or whomever. The fact that something about the teachings of that particular spiritual path ‘speaks to them’ is enough. Further proof is unnecessary. They *know* in their hearts that what they believe is correct for them and they are content. So why is the spiritual belief in draconity for many so dependent on memory recall? And why does there seem to be such a desperate need to uncover those memories instantly? Is not that inner sense of truth enough?

I am constantly hearing “I’ve been Awakened for 6 weeks (or some other short time frame) and I haven’t uncovered any memories at all! Help!!!” (From what I’ve seen that usually that means the person in question expected an immediate “data dump” without having to work for it and are pissed off that it hasn’t happened. Not always… but more often than not.) This is one of the main problems I have always had with the concept of “Awakening.” It gives the false impression that “enlightenment” can be… in fact should be… expected a.s.a.p.

This simply is not the case 99.9995% of the time. There are very few spiritual paths that promise instant enlightenment, and those that do are more likely to be deceptive cults set up to feed the ego of the cult leader at the expense of his or her followers. It’s the same with draconity. For most of us, the path of memory recollection is a long, drawn out process of self-exploration and discovery spanning years, if not decades Yes, instant enlightenment does happen occasionally, but it is extremely rare.

What human-born Dragons need to determine is *why* are past-life memories so important to them? Many say that memories would help prove to themselves that their belief in their draconity is true and not something they have unconsciously made up in their head. Okay… how so? How are you going to *prove* that your memories are not merely figments of your imagination? How do you know that your “memories” haven’t been created by your subconscious out of whole cloth to satisfy some irrational need for validation?

The fact is, you can’t. If you are honest with yourself, you would be able to find similarities between your own “recovered memories” and every fantasy book you have ever read, every movie you have ever seen, every fable you have ever heard of, and every website you have explored. Thus even if you do have “memories” of a past life as a Dragon, those memories are suspect and should be taken with a (substantial?) grain of salt.

Over the past 25 years I have learned a great deal about my past life as a Dragon. But there is no way I can objectively prove, even to myself, that what I have learned is true. There is no way I can prove whether or not what I believe of my past and my people is accurate, or if it is just a cobbled together “history” drawn from all the books I have read and movies I have seen over my 40 years of life in this body.

The first 10 years or so of my understanding of the nature of my soul was almost completely devoid of memories. What few I had were little more than vague flashes… more like half-remembered dreams than actual memories. And I can find similarities between what I ‘remember’ of my past and my people and quite a few fictional cultures/societies. There are similarities with the portrayals of the Mimbari from Babylon 5, the Shin’a’in from Mercedes Lackey’s books, and even Klingons from the Star Trek universe. And apparently there are also some similarities with an old sci-fi movie from the 50's that I've never even seen (The Day the Earth Stood Still) judging by Da'al's comments on what I remember of the role of the Clan Guard. **nods to Da'al**

The question then becomes have I created a false “history” from a mish-mash of sci-fi and fantasy worlds over time? Or do all of these things show that there is indeed “nothing new under the sun,” that some concepts are truly universal?

Who knows?

But you want to know something? It doesn’t matter. Not in the long run. Being able to validate my belief in my draconic origins or not doesn’t change the fact that I believe it. It is the *strength* of the belief itself that is important… my faith in it… not whether or not I can “prove it.” All the proof I need is the fact that this belief has stayed with me for over half my life and shows no sign of going away at any time in the future.

So what does all this mean? From my stand point it means the existence of memories (or the lack of them) are really not that important to the spiritual belief of draconity… or at least it shouldn’t be. Relying on unprovable, possibly suspect memories to validate a spiritual belief is like teaching a pig to sing: it wastes your time and annoys the pig. If a spiritual belief is truly held, and not just a passing fad, it will stand the test of time in spite of not having any supporting evidence to validate it. I am more willing to accept as genuine claims of draconity from a person who has held to their belief in spite of a lack of past life memories than I am the claims of some insta-Dragon who has suddenly “Awakened” with a fully detailed set of “memories” after reading a website or two.

"Past life memories do not a dragon make, nor dreams of flight a drake" J'Karrah, 2004
Back to top Go down
http://ebondragonart.com

Past Life Memories... Are They Really *That* Important?
Page 1 of 1