Scales n Fuzz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scales n Fuzz

A place where Otherkin, Furries, and people interested in them can interact in a peaceful environment.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

A few Question on Karma

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
jkarrah
Young dragon
Young dragon
jkarrah

Number of posts : 151
Registration date : 2008-06-18

A few Question on Karma Empty
PostSubject: A few Question on Karma   A few Question on Karma Icon_minitimeFri Feb 27, 2009 5:41 pm

Taken from a Pagan forum I belong to:

In the most general the doctrine of karma as I understand it postulates that one's state in this life is a result of actions (both physical and mental) in past incarnations, and action in this life can determine one's destiny in future incarnations. Karma is a natural, impersonal law of moral cause and effect and has no connection with the idea of a supreme power that decrees punishment or forgiveness of sins. Karmic law is universally applicable, and only those who have attained liberation from rebirth, called mukti (or moksha) or nirvana, can transcend it.

So...

Do you believe in Karma?

Do you believe we carry karmic debt from one life to the next?

How would one "clear out" negative karmic debt, if that is possible?

If you do not believe in karma, do you believe in something similar?

Last edited by jkarrah on Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://ebondragonart.com
jkarrah
Young dragon
Young dragon
jkarrah

PostSubject: Re: A few Question on Karma   A few Question on Karma Icon_minitimeFri Feb 27, 2009 5:46 pm

Do you believe in Karma?

Not the way most people seem to, no. Definitely not in any way similar to the Wiccan "Threefold Law."

Do you believe we carry karmic debt from one life to the next?

No. I believe that we get our "oh shit's and "attaboy's" during the life in which they are earned.

How would one "clear out" negative karmic debt, if that is possible?

By making restitution to the people you have wronged. Being nice to "Alice" sometime down the road isn't going to make up for the wrong you committed against "Jill." Giving money to charity isn't going to make up for money stolen from those who rightfully earned it. And so on...

If you do not believe in karma, do you believe in something similar?

I believe that "karma" is a self imposed reward and punishment system... and one that apparently for most focuses on "punishment." Basically, we create our own punishments when we knowingly do something wrong (this, of course is assuming that the "wrong" we have committed is a moral wrong and not a legal one). There is a notion of "crashing by design" that I'm particularly fond of. When we do something wrong enough to feel guilty over it, be that something done deliberately or accident, we will eventually set ourselves up to be "punished" for it. We will "crash by design..." our own design. Why? Because only by being "punished" can we be relieved of our guilt, especially if there is no way to make amends to those we have wronged.

Now, since someone usually brings up the question about "bad things" happening to good people for no apparent reason, I still don't believe that "karma" has anything to do with it. Nor do I believe that terrible things happen as some part an unknowable, divine, or "higher" purpose. I believe that sometimes bad things happen to good people simply because "shit happens." (Of course this should not be confused with the occasional whacks from the Great Cosmic 2x4 some deities take such delight in swinging our way when we've done really monumentally stupid.)

The only "lesson" I believe we need to learn is that while we may have little to no control over some things in our lives, we always have 100% control over how we choose to deal with it. We always have a choice, even if that choice is to submit or do nothing. I also believe that our eventual happiness with ourselves and our lives is completely in our own hands.
Back to top Go down
Lord_Niohoggr
Wee lil hatchy
Wee lil hatchy
Lord_Niohoggr

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2008-06-20

PostSubject: Re: A few Question on Karma   A few Question on Karma Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 6:10 pm

I quite much share your beliefs on this topic.
But I must ask, what is that wiccan threefold law?
Back to top Go down
jkarrah
Young dragon
Young dragon
jkarrah

PostSubject: Re: A few Question on Karma   A few Question on Karma Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 7:12 pm

Whatever you send out, good or bad returns to you threefold. So if you do something nice for someone you'll get something back that's 3 times as nice, but if you do something nasty to someone you'll get hit with something that's 3 times as bad.

Why they settled on 3X's no one has been able to adequately explain...
Back to top Go down
Lord_Niohoggr
Wee lil hatchy
Wee lil hatchy
Lord_Niohoggr

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2008-06-20

PostSubject: Re: A few Question on Karma   A few Question on Karma Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 11:26 pm

Thank you.
hmm... I guess wiccas forgot a thing or two of the old beliefs or those beliefs have altered, withered throughout the ages.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A few Question on Karma   A few Question on Karma Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A few Question on Karma
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Scales n Fuzz :: Mystical Dragons :: Metaphysics and Magic-
Jump to: