Scales n Fuzz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scales n Fuzz

A place where Otherkin, Furries, and people interested in them can interact in a peaceful environment.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Flying rods

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
dragonclaw
Wee lil hatchy
Wee lil hatchy
dragonclaw

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2008-06-18

Flying rods Empty
PostSubject: Flying rods   Flying rods Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2008 9:14 pm

Well I知 into myths and stuff like that and rods are one thing I知 really interested in because of my first hand connection with them. I could explain them but it's easier just to give you a like that will tell you everything. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rod_(cryptozoology)
Now i just got i very high spec camera off my dad and decided to have a bit of a mess on with it and go down the woods near where I live and take some pictures. I mainly took pictures of the fish in the stream and the old river tunnel that is deep in the woods and not very easy to get to. When i got back my dad had a look at the pics and saw well these things and here are the pics and the rod like things are circled:
https://2img.net/h/i182.photobucket.com/albums/x250/kyconic44/rode3.jpg
https://2img.net/h/i182.photobucket.com/albums/x250/kyconic44/rode1.jpg
https://2img.net/h/i182.photobucket.com/albums/x250/kyconic44/rode2.jpg
These are the pics straight off the camera except for the red line that I put in. Now before people start saying well they are just flies, well if it was a fly it would be a blurred line not a line that you can clearly see things sticking out of it and the camera was set and 1/50 sec so it was pretty first wished i set it faster now. I have seen these with my own eyes around this tunnel but thought nothing of it because people would just call you crazy, but I didn't see the photos first my dad did he said 'ooo look you have a rod on this photo' yes he's into myths as well. I'm going to go down again but with my video camera to see if I can get them on that but until then these are all i have. Please give me your thoughts on these thanks.

Last edited by dragonclaw on Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Aurelia
Wee lil eggy
Wee lil eggy
Aurelia

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2008-06-26

Flying rods Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flying rods   Flying rods Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2008 10:10 pm

I don't know much about rods at all but your pictures are very interesting.

At first I was going to say it was a reflection in the first picture, but the fact the shape of the rod is the same in each picture but different angles, locations and sizes... I don't know. Very interesting indeed and I'd love to see more if you have any!
Back to top Go down
http://www.draconity.org
dragonclaw
Wee lil hatchy
Wee lil hatchy
dragonclaw

Number of posts : 82

Flying rods Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flying rods   Flying rods Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2008 10:52 pm

Thats what i thought when i saw the first photo but then when i saw 3 pictures with them in and when i dropped them into photoshop and did a bit of sharpening and noise removal they cast a reflection just off the water. You are all welcome to take the photos and have a bit of a mess around with them. And if the weather is good I'm going to try and get some more photos and video around the tunnel.
Back to top Go down
Draco18s
Wee lil eggy
Wee lil eggy

Number of posts : 30

Flying rods Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flying rods   Flying rods Icon_minitimeFri Jul 11, 2008 6:51 am

Congratulations, you caught a bug on film. Smile

I suggest putting the camera on shutter priority and cranking that baby up to 1/300th of a second (and hope you don't have a digital camera) and shove the aperture all the way open, then try and snap some shots of "flying rods." Same day, same location, drop back down into auto (or push the shutter to 1/60th of a second) and taking more pics.

My bet: no rods on the 1/300th images, rods on the 1/60ths. Insects typically beat their wings anywhere between 5 and 1000 times per second.

BTW, I increased the contrast on one of your rods and zoomed in.
Highlighted in green are boundary areas where you can clearly see that the rod itself is translucent, indicating that the object was not in that location for the full exposure of the image.
Flying rods Rod
Back to top Go down
Lord_Niohoggr
Wee lil hatchy
Wee lil hatchy
Lord_Niohoggr

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2008-06-20

Flying rods Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flying rods   Flying rods Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2008 4:36 pm

Some look like bugs, but some move so swiftly that not even a high speed camera can catch them properly.
I believe in their existance, there is just so much that humanity and us don't know about.
I also believe that many beings today's scientific world only laughs at may exists in reality.
Just think about this statistical data:
No matter where you live, in a 200 mile radius around you, you can find at least one person, who have encountered a being or a phenomena that has no explanation.
Back to top Go down
ShimdraShaul
Wee lil eggy
Wee lil eggy
ShimdraShaul

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2008-06-25

Flying rods Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flying rods   Flying rods Icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2008 2:48 pm

I saw a documentary on this phenomena once. I agree that they appear much like insects beating their wings in many cases. (The documentary actually concludes on this note.) The problem with this is that many places they are seen are devoid of insects, appear in innaproprate places, the arms appears too uniform (and spaced perfectly apart) to be an insect wingbeat, and they will appear and disappear on camera (not run off the edge.) So while insects can produce a similar image, I don't think it is sufficient to explain many of the cases I've seen since learning about it.
Back to top Go down
http://shimdrashaul.deviantart.com/
Sponsored content

Flying rods Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flying rods   Flying rods Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Flying rods
Page 1 of 1